Mechanical Design Engineer - Mechanism
Woburn, MA 01701
* Design, analysis, and system integration of the Transition throttle and gear selection controls, including:
* Combining mechanical and throttle-by-wire engine control mechanisms;
* Developing the gear selection mechanism to interface with the hybrid powertrain;
* Defining mechanism degrees of freedom, latching states, and sensor interfaces;
* Supporting sensor selection/integration for sensing commanded vehicle state;
* Material selection and mechanism designs for durability, low weight, and simplicity;
* Integration of the throttle and gear selection mechanisms with operator ergonomics.
* Participate as a key player in the design-build-test process for the Transition, including conceptual, preliminary and detailed design, requirements definition, design reviews, prototyping, and testing;
* Coordinate and communicate effectively with other engineers, technical personnel, management, and external suppliers;
* Provide CAD work in support of design activities, direct drafting and product definition staff in the application of manufacturing drawing best practices, and define appropriate GD&T;
* Perform analyses, via hand calculations, kinematic simulations, and FEA, to validate designs;
* Support and participate in testing activities - component, drive, and/or flight - as needed, including test plan creation, data analysis, and test report generation and documentation;
* Support the Certification Director with compliance and certification activities including design, test, and analysis documentation, internal and external audits, and other activities as needed.
* The candidate must have:
* Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 5+ years technical work experience, or;
* Master's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 3+ years technical work experience.
* Advanced SolidWorks experience - including SolidWorks Motion tool;
* Demonstrated experience designing robust, lightweight mechanisms for vehicles including operator controls;
* Expertise performing static and kinematic analyses for mechanical systems;
* Experience with finite element analysis in SolidWorks Simulation or an equivalent embedded FEA tool;
* Proven definition or production of manufacturing drawings including selection of dimension tolerances;
* Familiarity with material selection to meet strength, weight, durability, and cost targets;
* Proven experience with rapid design cycles: taking a design from concept through detailed design, build, and test;
* Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem solving skills;
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as presentation skills;
* Familiarity with basic shop tools (hand, power, mill, lathe, etc.).
Highly Desired Qualifications
* Hands-on experience installing automotive/aircraft throttle mechanisms, gear selectors, or propeller controls;
* Proven ability to select appropriate bearing types/sizes, implement latches, and design linkages;
* Familiarity integrating Hall Effect sensors, proximity, or contact switches to sense mechanism state (position);
* Formal training and professional experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T);
* Background in designing with aerospace grade materials including fiber reinforced composites;
* Exposure to ANSYS Workbench, FEMAP/NASTRAN, or any similar sophistication FEA software;
* Familiarity with MSC Adams or similar sophistication rigid-body kinematics simulation software;
* Exposure to low or medium volume production environments, particularly in automotive or aerospace industry;
* Familiarity with 49 CFR 571 regulations;
* Familiarity with ASTM F2245 regulations.