Controls Engineer (Advanced Equipment & Process Development)
Framingham, MA 01701
Seeking a Controls Engineer for the Advanced Equipment and Process Development team in the Assembly Process Engineering (APEX) group. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for developing and optimizing new manufacturing processes for Bose. In addition, the ability to design, develop, and utilize prototype and advanced equipment controls will be leveraged heavily. Finally, support of the custom automated and semi-automated production equipment used worldwide by our plants will be required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Working collaboratively with other departments to accurately define customers' needs and then providing robust process and controls solutions, along with innovative equipment design recommendations when needed.
* Designing, programming, debugging, deploying, and documenting equipment control systems, focusing primarily on prototyping fixtures and advanced production stations.
* Investigating existing and emerging manufacturing processes that could be leveraged for use in Bose manufacturing.
* Creating controls and analysis systems to optimize production techniques, processes, and equipment concepts.
* Utilizing Design for Lean Six Sigma (DfLSS) techniques, especially Design of Experiments (DOE), to empirically determine process settings, procedures, and manufacturing requirements.
* Documenting all process and equipment development results, formulating project plans and cost estimates, documenting all design and programming work, and supporting development efforts of other groups in the company.
* Performing hardware design, electrical assembly, testing /debugging, data collection, data analysis, and consultation tasks, as well as closely interacting with other Global Development Engineering, Consumer Electronics, Transducer Development, and Manufacturing groups.
Must have the following skills, abilities and knowledge:
* Ability to setup, program, and rapidly deploy vision systems for inspection, process development, and manufacturing settings. Cognex and/or Keyence experience preferred.
* Experience in programming and designing robotic systems. Adept, Kuka, UR, and IAI experience preferred.
* Demonstrated ability in PLC systems design, programming, and debugging. (Familiarity with Wago and Turck PLC's is highly desirable)
* Familiar with Monitouch or other HMI systems.
* Skilled in AutoCAD Electrical CAD package.
* Experience designing machine and assembly line electrical control systems.
* Ability to program in at least one high level language, such as VB.Net, or C++. Adept Technologies V+ knowledge would be beneficial.
* Real time PC based control system experience is desirable, as is Fieldbus I/O experience.
* Good mechanical aptitude.
* Demonstrated ability using Design for Lean Six Sigma methodologies and techniques.
* Familiarity with data collection fundamentals, tools, and analysis packages (DAQ systems, Matlab, Minitab, etc.) a plus.
* Candidate must be a self-starter, able to master new systems and technologies quickly, and be willing to learn on the fly.
* Must possess innovative thinking, accountability, attention to detail, effective communication, clear self-motivation and management, and a commitment to continuous improvement.
* Strong interpersonal skills and the initiative to drive projects to successful conclusions.
* Travel up to 15% of the year may be required.
* 5 to 7 years of related experience in the field of machine controls design preferred
* Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering