Biology Technician - BMIJP00002494
Aberdeen, MD 21001
This Biology Technician will be responsible for performing laboratory research, technical problem solving, and routine specified data analysis. The candidate will also be expected to communicate routine research procedures and results for contribution to reports.
- Responsible for general laboratory support of immunology, molecular biology, and microbiology projects in both biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and BSL3 environments.
- Works under general supervision and instruction or more experienced staff.
- Prepare media and reagent stocks, autoclave and dispose of bio-hazardous waste, maintain supply inventory, place supply orders.
- Perform general lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Perform and document assays according to standard operating procedures and in accordance with Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
Top 3 criteria/must haves for the position: some lab experience (i.E. Senior project); ability to prioritize, schedule, and organize work; ability to use established procedures to perform assigned work under the direction of more senior research or management staff. Previous experience in one of more of the following areas: eukaryotic cell culture, aseptic technique, ELISAs, PCR, or microbiology
- Bachelor's degree in biology, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related science; OR a high school diploma and equivalent laboratory experience of at least 2.5 years
- Self-initiative and ability to work independently and prioritize, schedule and organize work.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents.
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Individual must be able to meet the requirements for Public Trust Level 5b.
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Previous experience generally obtained through work history in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or BSL3 laboratory and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Quality management experience (GLP).
- Previous experience in one of more of the following areas: eukaryotic cell culture, aseptic technique, ELISAs, PCR, or microbiology.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office desired.