Senior Machine Designer
1001 Bond St Charlotte, North Carolina 28208
Catapult Staffing is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with SOLIDWORKS experience for a full-time opportunity in the Charlotte, NC area. This position will be responsible for leading the design efforts for custom testing equipment unique to our process, as well as overseeing fabrication, assembly, and testing. All design is conducted at the facility, and fabrication is conducted either in-house or sourced for some larger components. Machine assembly is accomplished in-house. The successful candidate will therefore have strong hands-on skills from concept to assembly. A positive attitude and ability to interact in a team environment to meet schedules are essential. The commitment, attitudes, and activities performed by all personnel are the foundation of our business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce SOLIDWORKS designs on Proficient/Expert level
- Perform and understand FEA analyses on individual components and assemblies
- Optimize strength and stiffness while minimizing weight for a moving platform (i.e., some background in concepts familiar to the aircraft and/or amusement park ride industries would be beneficial)
- Size and specify components and bearings
- Specify appropriate fasteners and/or welding processes and their proper applications with respect to machine design
- Specify and integrate sensors and actuators (from the mechanical perspective)
- Use measuring devices such as calipers, micrometers, depth gauges, and other measurement devices used in a machine shop environment.
- Select proper and optimized structural materials and components
- Create detailed fabrication and assembly drawings of electro-mechanical machines and other special adaptations of equipment
- Fully document designs and modifications
- Develop fabrication specifications
- Coordinate and lead team reviews for new concept designs and existing machine modifications/revisions
- Analyze and recommend solutions for machine and equipment issues
- Facilitate capability studies and prepare cost/time estimates for new concept machines.
- Source and order materials and supplies
- Coordinate efforts between engineering, fabrication, shop, maintenance, and operations personnel to reduce technical problems, maximize efficiency and meet customer testing schedules
- Interface with outside shops to provide organized and fully detailed mechanical and assembly drawings for fabrication
- Manage outside fabrication and delivery schedules
- Travel as required to support equipment inspections, fabrication reviews
- Mentor other team members who may be less experienced in machine design concepts
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and be able to manage multiple projects
Other Beneficial but Not Required Skill Sets:
- Be able to operate forklifts, hoists, hand power tools, slings, grinders, cutting torch, and hand tools
- Conduct and understand modal and vibration analyses
- Analyze dynamic systems, natural frequencies, etc.
- Use all machine shop equipment such as lathes, mills, machining centers, etc.
- Design, install, optimize braking systems
- Bachelor’ s degree in Mechanical Engineer or equivalent
- 10+ years in direct design of electro-mechanical machines or equivalent
- Comprehensive use of SolidWorks 2016
- Strong background in fabrication methods
- Positive attitude and strong teaming skills
- Willingness to learn, participate and adapt in a changing environment to reach a common goal
This position will under most conditions require 40 – 50 hours per week. However, there may be periods where longer hours are required under extenuating circumstances.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform work in an office environment and/or concrete floor for 8-10 hours per day.
- Stand, sit, walk, talk and hear. Must be able to use hands to handle, feel, reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Must be able to use tools around machinery in sometimes confined spaces
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
Competitive and attractive salary compensation for desired candidate, along with 100% company paid benefits, including the following:
- Employee and family health care
- Employee and family dental
- Employee and family eye care
- Employee Short Term and Long Term disability
- Employee Life Insurance
- Employee 401k Plan
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick days or personal leave days
Paid annual vacation commensurate with experience