Operating Room Charge Nurse
Operating Room Charge Nurse
Our Client, a leading Orthopedic and Spine Inpatient Surgical Hospital in the great Phoenix area, is seeking an Operating Room Charge Nurse to join their clinical leadership team.
The hospital' s focus is the state-of-the-art care of musculoskeletal conditions including joint replacement, spine surgery and other reconstructive procedures. Their mission is to provide first-class surgical services for the community in a safe, comfortable and welcoming environment; one in which we would be happy to treat our own families.
- Accountable for management and quality patient care in the operating room.
- Demonstrates clinical expertise and directs the nursing staff in the execution of the nursing process.
- Performance Improvement audits and activities and assists in the development of staff performance standards.
- Responsible for performing the duties of the OR Registered Nurse.
Competencies & Responsibilities:
- The following are essential job accountabilities:
- Administers the direct and indirect patient care within the surgical area. Assists with the development and compliance with department and AORN standards.
- Reviews and revises nursing care standards.
- Acts as a professional liaison with the physicians who perform procedures as demonstrated by observation and feedback.
- Participates, observes and documents performance and compliance with established standards in the performance improvement process.
- Coordinates and supervises orientation of new nursing employees in developing skills in surgery. Continually seeks opportunities to learn, share knowledge to develop staff.
- Coordinates surgical caseload by reviewing the schedule, modifying rooms and staffing assignments as necessary to meet patient care needs.
- Provides input for capital equipment considerations.
- Ensures appropriate inventory and ordering of departmental supplies are appropriate for departmental needs.
- Seeks opportunities for increased cost-effective measures and supervises staff in maintaining or decreasing costs.
- Cooperates with Educator in developing the competency programs ensuring the continuing education of all staff members in order to meet organizational goals and individual competencies.
- Participates in the development of recruitment and retention strategies.
- Lead daily huddle
- Attend daily staffing huddle to discuss next day schedule, staffing needs, PTO requests, successes and staff recognition, and challenges.
- Control surgery board.
- Ensure cases are pulled.
- Ensure rooms are set up for next day first case starts.
- All staffing – scheduling OR call coverage, PTO requests, next-day assignments, etc.).
- Point of contact for staff call-offs.
- May need to take call as needed.
- On-call is required.
- Ensure timely turnovers/assist with turnovers.
- Organize/assist with breaks and lunches.
- Responsible for weekly narcotic counts, daily code cart checks, eye wash stations, etc
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, BSN preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a hospital setting.
- Current Arizona Nursing License.
- Current CPR
- Current ACLS
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good organization habits.
- Ability to adapt to change quickly, strong knowledge base relative to surgery procedures and management of the surgical patient.
- Understands principles of aseptic technique and their implementation.
- Ability to care for patients from infancy to geriatrics.
- Excellent teaching skills.
- Basic knowledge of continuous quality improvement ideology.